15 Tips For Healthy Skin
The modern day lifestyle has become so hectic and stressful that many people suffer from physical and mental ailments. Working overtime in the office and traveling long distances has taken a toll on our bodies, including the skin.
More and more people, especially women are suffering from skin related problems like acne, pimples, blackheads, sunburns, pigmentation, early wrinkles, pale and dull skin, uneven skin tone and more.
The cosmetic sections in all departmental stores are full of products that offer you respite from various skin troubles. The only problem with these products is that many a times they have harmful chemicals in them which can lead to more skin troubles with prolonged use. The only way of maintaining healthy skin is by following healthy skin practices. These practices can help achieve healthy and glowing complexion without resorting to too much use of cosmetics.
15 Tips for Healthy Skin
1. Never skip your skin care routine. This routine consists of cleansing, toning and moisturizing. Clean your face with a wash suited to your skin type. Your facial skin is very delicate hence do not go for heavily scented soaps and washes that contain high quantity of chemicals. Always choose mild face washes. Toning should be done to maintain the ph balance of the skin.
You can use toners from the shelf or prepare your own at home. Do not use alcohol based toners as they can harm your skin. Moisturizing is important even for oily skin. People with oily skin can use a liquid based lotion for moisturizing the facial skin. Those with normal skin can use any cold cream and people with dry skin should stick to a heavy cream like coco butter. Moisturizing keeps your skin supple and elastic. Pumped up skin also gives the illusion of youth.
2. Never sleep with your make up on. Always remove your makeup after wearing it for eight hours. Makeup products like foundation have heavy oils which clog the skin pores leading to formation of acne. Get rid of any stale makeup by spreading cleansing milk on your skin and removing it with cotton wool. Repeat this twice and then wash your face; tone and moisturize. If you feel too last to remove the makeup then simply wipe it off using a soft facial tissue.
3. Do not use old makeup. Makeup products are expensive but avoid the temptation of using any products on your face that have gone beyond their expiry. You can use old foundation on your arms and legs instead. Throw away old lipsticks and blush-ons. They will do your skin more harm than good.
4. Always use a sunscreen before stepping out. The importance of using a sunscreen cannot be stressed enough. Even 10 minutes in the sun are enough to harm your skin. Use a sunscreen with SPF 30 if you work inside an office. SPF 50 is ideal for people who work outside in the sun. Re-apply sunscreen after every two hours.
5. Cut down on your intake of coffee and any other caffeine drinks. Caffeine causes the body to retain water. This causes the body to become bloated giving the skin a very unhealthy appearance.
6. Stop smoking and drinking. Studies have found that women who drink and smoke regularly develop wrinkles much before women who do not. Smoking and drinking are unhealthy practices that disease the body not only from inside but also leave their mark on the outside. The skin becomes dull, pale and unhealthy.
7. Drink lots of water. Water helps keep the skin smooth and supple. It maintains the elasticity of the skin thus delaying the onset of wrinkles. Soda and other beverages are not substitutes for water. Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water every day to flush out toxins from your body and skin.
8. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. These contain essential vitamins and proteins that help maintain a healthy skin. A healthy diet will reflect on your face as well.
9. Avoid intake of fried and unhealthy food. What we eat shows on our face. A person with healthy eating habits will radiate health from his face. Unhealthy eating will lead to troubled and patchy skin.
10. Apply a nourishing vitamin cream before going to bed at night. The cream will replenish the skin of oils and essential minerals lost due to presence of chemical pollutants in the air.
11. Sleep for eight hours every night. This will give the skin ample time to rejuvenate itself. Applying ant-wrinkle cream at night before going to bed is also a good practice. The cream will help smoothen out the wrinkles and reduce occurrence of lines. women over 25 years of age should incorporate use of anti-wrinkle cream in their daily skin care regime.
12. Do not take stress. Any signs of mental anguish will first make their appearance on the skin. The skin will lose its glow becoming dull. This will give you a haggard appearance and also encourage the onset of wrinkles.
13. Give yourself a facial once every month. The facial massage will help circulate blood to your face giving it a healthy glow. The creams and face masks used during facial will clean the skin off any impurities. Facial packs and masks are also good for treating skin problems like acne, pimples, pigmentation and tan.
14. Go easy on the tanning. Avoid spending too many hours soaking the sun. And always wear a sunscreen. Too much tanning without a sunscreen can lead to painful skin burns. Harmful UV radiations of the sun are also responsible for increase in the number of skin cancer accounts.
15. Do not buy over-the-counter skin creams and medications. You might end up taking the wrong medicine which might further aggravate the problem. Visit a dermatologist if you have persistent skin problems. Your doctor will be able to do a correct prognosis and prescribe you medicines accordingly.
A healthy skin is a great asset. It requires minimal makeup and is easy to maintain. While some of us are blessed with healthy skin naturally, most have to struggle to have it. Following healthy skin practices can help us achieve healthy, glowing and clear complexion.
Photo Credit- Dumree.com